[Sca-cooks] snail recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 6 04:38:26 PST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> <<< But Khli is fermented meat that is done in an odd fashion... saw
> it on the
> travel channel Bizzar food.s >>>
>
> Fermented, in what odd fashion?

I can't really address the question of how this is especially odd, but
then I didn't become exposed to this via a television show on odd
foods, so perhaps my motives are different from those of The Travel
Channel ;-). But I did happen to do a little web searching on this
when the subject came up t'other day, and here's what I found:

Khli is meat, generally beef, cut into strips and marinated in a thick
sauce made from crushed garlic, other spices and probably salt (I
forget, but it would make sense) for 24 hours. Then it is dried on
racks (remember this is North Africa we're talking about, so drying
isn't difficult in the climate). The dried strips are then placed in a
crock or jar and covered with melted fat, which congeals around the
meat and seals out air and airborne pathogens, much in the same way as
the French confits of semi-cured pork, goose or duck in jars of their
own fat.

Standard usage apparently involves removing a piece or three from your
jar, removing the fat, and frying it with eggs.

If they did this with bacon in someplace like Poland or the Ukraine,
we'd be saying it totally rocked. I'm wondering if perhaps there was
some artificial but local ick factor included in the TV coverage of
this product, like maybe shots of fly-covered beef carcasses in the
sub-tropical, traditional, open-air market? Or maybe the marinade
looks like something that shot out of one end or the other of a less-
than-healthy baby?

I'm just sayin'...

Adamantius