[Sca-cooks] Recipe help

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 15:16:15 PDT 2008

In a message dated 3/18/2008 11:23:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
phlip at 99main.com writes:

<<Anyway, I would like suggestions from y'all. One thing I know  I'll
have is a deer, and I'll be using my stew pot to cook up a  venison
stew. I'd dearly love any period recipes anyone might have, but  if
necessary, I can put together a variation on Beef Y-stewed.>>

Roo broth is a possibility (before you start thinking toddler kangaroos, it
is a recipe for roe deer or other deer).

ROO BROTH
from Forme of Curye, 14th century
as redacted in Pleyn  Delit

Take the lire of the Deer other of the Roo; parboil it on smale  peces.
Seethe it well, half in water and half in wyne.  Take brede  and bray it with the
self broth and drawe blode ther-to, and lat it seeth  to-gedre with powdor
fort of gynger other of cannell and macys, with a grete  porcion of vinegar with
Raysons of Corante.

ca 1 lb venison, cooked or parboiled, cut into small pieces.
ca 1.5 cups  each water, red wine
0.5 cup breadcrumbs (use whole wheat or rye, the  darker the better)
0.25 tsp each ginger, cinnamon, mace
1 tsp  salt
0.25 cup vinegar (preferably red wine vinegar)
0.25 cup  currants
1 tsp Marmite or other yeast-based gravy seasoning, (in lieu of  blood)

Cover the chopped venison with wine and water; simmer for about an  hour.
Steep the breadcrumbs in some of the broth (and the Marmite or other
colouring), and stir into the pot, along with currants and seasonings.   Simmer for
about five minutes more, stirring occasionally, before serving

Note, this is the redaction from the first edition of Pleyn Delit.   It's
quite yummy stuff, though.

I keep wanting to read "Take the lire of the deer" as "take the liver of  the
deer", but I think I asked about this once on this list and was told it was
the meat...not sure now, it's been a LONG time since I made this.

Brangwayna Morgan

Home.