[Sca-cooks] Drugs and tobacco

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 16:11:35 PST 2008

Conversing with friends we tried to remember when drugs and tobacco
entered Europe. We recalled that the first Duchess of Alba, in her own
right - Goya's maja -, took some kind of powder or snuff, a drug from
Mexico which could have caused her premature death at the turn of the
19th century. An Italian friend related his father smoked tobacco
leaves without paper in the 20th century. Today's conversation turned
into a void as we have no references between the 16th and the 19th C so
to speak, off hand.
Suey