[Sca-cooks] Magpies

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 3 21:16:44 PST 2008

> Alligators are New World, right? Do we have any period recipes or
> indications of them eating Crocodile?  Perhaps in the Middle Eastern
> cookbooks? What about snake?
>
> Stefan

Alligator and crocodile species are found in both the New and Old Worlds.
Caimans are New World and gavials are Old World.

The Seminole and some other American Indian tribes eat alligator.
Crocodiles were (are) eaten in predynastic Egypt, New Guinea, Australia and
other places in their range.  Crocodile was eaten in the West Indies at the
arrival of Europeans and suffered local extinction some time after that.  To
my knowledge, there is no evidence for or against extinction by dinner.

Bear