[Sca-cooks] crocodiles and magpies

Cindy Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed Mar 5 07:17:01 PST 2008

Hello.

Forgive me for coming late to this thread.  I don't know whether
someone has mentioned this or not, but there's a reference to eating
magpies in Athenaeus, Vol. II, p. 107.
The passage is listing many birds served at a feast and says:
	"…ducks, ringdoves, geese, snipe, thrushes, larks, magpies, swans,
pelican, wagtails, crane…"

Also, I found a reference to eating crocodile in The Book of Beasts,
being a translation from a Latin bestiary of the Twelfth Century, ed.
by T.H. White, rpt. Dover, NY, 1984, footnote p. 159:
"…Aelian informs us, in the second century, that 'the people of the
City of Apollo, who are a division of the Tenterites, catch crocodiles
in a drag net, and having hung them up on persea-trees, they beat them
with many blows and flog them as men are flogged, while the animals
whimper and shed tears; then they cut them down and feast on them.'"

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
www.thousandeggs.com