[Sca-cooks] Black-eyed peas was Food and personality

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 5 13:18:20 PST 2008

Vigna unguiculata (AKA Vigna sinensis) is the black-eyed pea.  English terms
for the various variants are cowpea, asparagus pea, crowder pea, yard-long
bean, china bean, black-eyed pea, black-eyed bean, long bean, red pea,
southern pea, and field pea (automatically confusing it with real field
peas, Pisum sativum var. arvense).

Chickpeas are Cicer arietinum variously also referred to as garbanzos, ceci,
and gram peas.

The Oxford Companion to Food lists them under the entries Chickpea and
Cowpea.

I would suspect this is a singular error in translation rather than a common
one.

Bear