[Sca-cooks] Haba/Garbanzos

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 6 12:32:49 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
>From: Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com>
>
>Barbara Benzon questions this habas in English are garbanzos, which is
>the Spanish word for the same. Nobody's got a black eye there?

I didn't see the previous message, but habas are fava beans, aka broad
beans.  Garbanzos are chickpeas. > > > > >

the crux appears to be in defining the word "chickpea" in the definition of
garbanzo.  Whose chickpea definition is the valid one in determing what the
food item actually was.  Bristish/Eupopean dialect appears to consider a
"Chickpea" something of what we call in US a "cow pea" or "black eyed pea".
that is where the hitch is in the giddy-up here.  Defining terms and
matching the word to the legume/bean/pea/little starchy thing in soups and
salads.

niccolo difrancesco