[Sca-cooks] Best way to grind fenugreek?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 7 06:11:42 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
I picked up a container of fenugreek last weekend and ground some of it for
a curry I was making. I used a mortar and pestle, but damn those seeds were
tough, and not all of the seeds crushed no matter how long I ground.

So, what do you fenugreek-lovin' folks use other than a mortar and pestle to
pulverize this spice? A coffee grinder? A standard pepper grinder? Someone
else's muscle?

Gianotta  > > > > > > >

Sorry for coming back to a weeks-old thread, but I forgot a good idea.  I
bought a used coffee grinder off eBay . . .a big one like you see on the
coffee aisles in stores.  A Commercial Size GRINDMASTER model or a BUNN.  It
will grind a pound of coffee in like 45 to 60 seconds.  I have found it also
very successfully grinds a blend I make of long pepper, cubeb, and grains.
It is just a tad coarse, like medium grind black pepper.  I am beliebving
that it would drop fenugreek just as well.  It isn't practical for an ounce,
though fun.  It is grewat for a pound at a time, though!

Mine is an older model, and doesn't have the ultra-finest grinds that the
new ones have ("Turkish" I believe it is).  I clean it in between
spices/blends by running some rice through it.  Twice through on
priogessively finer settings, and most of the oils are cleaned off the
burrs.

niccolo difrancesco