[Sca-cooks] Intro and Newbie question - estimating meat portions

Tasha Derrett tasha.d at orcon.net.nz
Wed Mar 12 00:59:53 PDT 2008

Even though I've posted once or twice before, I thought I should give
a quick intro this time - my SCAdian name is Eydís, and I'm part of St
Kessog a two year old college in the Barony of Southron Gaard in the
Kingdom of Lochac. I have ambitions of becoming a feast cook in part
because there are none in the college or in the slightly younger
canton in our city and the other part being I actually enjoy cooking.

I recently helped out in the kitchen at a college event which was a
good experience and everyone enjoyed the feast. One thing that did
happen is that we overestimated the amount of beef that would been
needed for a roast and have ended up with a lot of leftover meat. My
question is what is a good way of estimating the amount of red meat/
poultry/fish that is needed for a feast? Is there a standard kind of
portion per person? Is it affected by how many other meat dishes might
be in a course/at the feast?

Eydís