[Sca-cooks] A curious question about the rotted meat mythos

Kimberly Vallance tibbles74 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:53:30 PDT 2008

Greetings list,

Ok I know that Rotten meat myth is a big thorn in most of our sides. But how
much of a myth is it really? This question comes from me watching Bizarre
foods which presents unusual cultural foods. recently it was on what would
be rotted meat to most Americans, hakarl (rotten shark meat). There are many
culture that use various fermented meats. Could this be also what permeated
the myth that medieval food was heavily spiced to hide "rotted" meat?

A note on the bizarre series, Mr. Zimmerman doesn't do the whole lets make
it weirder then it is he shows cultural food that most Americans would
consider bizarre and out of the norm he also does a good job of showing what
many tourists over look.

I don't mean to upset anyone but seeing some of the fermented and um unusual
meats it got me to thinking.

Yours in service

Anne de la Mare