[Sca-cooks] A curious question about the rotted meat mythos

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Wed Mar 12 20:35:30 PDT 2008

I just saw a bit about that on PBS...It was actually really interesting.  Apparently, the shark meat, raw, contains stuff that would poison a human being (something ammonia-related), and the prolonged, uh, process that the shark goes through renders it edible for people.  The smell's apparently pretty awful though, because of the ammonia-stuff leaching out.  The piece the fellow was using to test the doneness had an appearance (on screen) of a solid, creamy-white cheese.  Didn't look much at all like the raw stuff.
--Maire