[Sca-cooks] Curious about a spice.

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 15 18:12:14 PDT 2008

rattkitten at bellsouth.net wrote:
>  Came across this in the Latin section of our Walmart and bought it
>just cause...
>  They are round little balls and the label says Whole Saffron.  What
>is it?  Any help?
>
>  Nichola

Well, checking on the web - and noting some other posts to this list
with info about "azafran de bolita" - this isn't saffron or even
related - being Ditaxis heterantha Euphorbiaceae - but it apparently
does lent a warm yellow color to food. I haven't found any recipes
yet, but since it is considered an oil seed as well as a food
coloring agent, you may need to crush it and cook it in oil to
extract the color, then strain the oil and use it in your food, as is
done with annatto/achiote and was done with alkanet in period.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing