[Sca-cooks] Good Basic Cooking References

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 17 17:59:36 PDT 2008

Thank you all for the BAD books.

Now for something completely... err... at least rather different.

Some of those new to historical cooking are just plain new to
cooking. So i'd like to have some good basic cooking reference books
to recommend. Please, something still available and not to expensive
or obscure. I'm assuming these people will not be cooking a feast
real soon, so i don't need books that give info on cooking for large
numbers of people.

I'm looking for these books because when working from a vague recipe,
it can be helpful to check how long to boil or simmer a chicken to
make broth; the proportions of some grain to water to cook and how
long it will take; oven temperatures for "small cakes" or roasting
meat; etc.

I use my 1970s edition of "The Joy of Cooking". What do other people use?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing