[Sca-cooks] Good Basic Cooking References

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Mar 17 18:12:55 PDT 2008

I was going to say "The Joy of Cooking", but you already said it ;-)
But, if your people are interested in basic cooking, and want to be a
bit historical, there are any number of older cookbooks, from the 50s
and 60s, that have an awful lot of useful basic informatuion The trick
is to find one that's old enough to do most items from scratch.

One I've liked over the years is the "Better Homes and Gardens"
cookbook, in all of its manifestations. No matter how many different
recipes it has using pre-made whatever, it also contains a nice supply
of basic information, including very basic cakes and frostings, as
well as other baked goods, and time and temperature charts for various
fleshy bits, as well as many common vegetables. It also usually has a
section on things that can be subbed for other things, and how many
teaspoons make a tablespoon and other useful measurements.