[Sca-cooks] Above/Below the Salt was Greetings

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 18 18:08:24 PDT 2008

I've encountered above/below the salt feasts a couple of times during my
early days in the Society and I've heard of a number of others.  I am of the
opinion that they work better with personna players, especially in older
days when the beer could flow freely below the salt.  They are a way to
provide two tier pricing, which I believe (at least in Ansteorra) is more
commonly handled these days by a feast and a tavern.

The idea can work.  In the case you cite, it apparently didn't.  YMMV.

I must admit that I never tried one, because it seemed like a waste of time
and effort at the quantities and prices I was working at.

Bear