[Sca-cooks] Military cooking

Linda Lindsey wishwords at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 08:38:07 PDT 2008

>When I was in Germany, we were lucky in that the mess halls and the O-
>club had local German cooks, who would throw out the "planned menus"
>the Army commissary service suggested and do whatever they pleased!
>It was WONderful.  1st Support Brigade had the best chow hall in
>Europe, I think.
>
>Jared
>(remembering spiessbraten in the messhall)

You are so lucky.  In Iraq, our cooks were from India.  Every bit of red
meat they cooked was cooked to death, and they put it on your plate like it
was going to bite them.

But the best times were when the supply trucks couldn't get through and they
had to improvise.  Whoever thought it was a good idea to put lima beans in
the fried rice or carrots in the fajitas was a sadist.

--
Edith Grey