[Sca-cooks] crocodiles and magpies

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 5 13:37:29 PST 2008

This also turns up in a paper in JSTOR that talks about religion and the
meaning of tears.
And when I search it, it comes up under crocodile tears.
So where is this City of Apollo or the Tenterites?
Apparently it's below Thebes on the Nile. The Tenterites are discussed
in Hakluytus Posthumus: Contayning a History of the World in Sea.
They are also discussed by George Sandys in his
1610 book of travels. See Andrew Hadfield's Amazons, Savages, and
Machiavels. It's said that they eat the flesh of those they catch and
sell the hides to merchants.

Johnnae