[Sca-cooks] Haba/Garbanzos

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:17:15 PST 2008

Nick wrote:
> [...]
I was asleep at the switch up there and published my error in the
following digest. When translating first thing I do is to go to the
scientific name first and then match it in Spanish and English because
fish for example have been very badly translated into Spanish and from
Spanish into English so first thing I do is to look up the scientific
name and I know which books in the National Library of Spain are
trustworthy like Font, Espasa, the British Ency. etc and which ones are
not all together like Corbea. The scientific name for garbanzo is /Cicer
arietinium, /chickpea in English.  The scientific name for cow pea and
black-eyed pea is /Vigna unguiculata/.

For the record the scientific name for *haba* (the stem, fruit and seed)
is. /Vicia faba mino/, Eng. faba bean, broad bean or horse bean.
Suey