[Sca-cooks] Holding cheese goo...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 15:45:58 PST 2008

Ilsebet asked:
<<< I'm making some (ok maybe a lot of) food,
and one dish I wanted to do was cheese goo. This is mostly because I've
never had it NOT taste good on something.

I was going to use Cariadoc's redaction - it's the one I've
always used. However, whenever I've tried to keep it warm for a long
time,
or reheat it, it always separates on me. >>>

First, I really recommend using a bowl or crock pot to hold cheese
goo. If you hold it in your hands it tends to leak through your
fingers and get on everything...

There are quite a number of ways to interpret the recipe. My barony
had a food competition one time just using the Digby recipe as the
starting point. There was a surprisingly large number of variations
that were reasonable, on top of the variations mentioned in the
original recipe.

For some redactions and variations see this Florilegium file. There
are also some other period recipes which are similar but which are
not Digby's recipe. Cheese goo will tend to separate, although
getting it mixed well originally helps. I there is some discussion
about this in this file as well.

cheese-goo-msg    (44K) 10/31/06    Digby's Savory Tosted cheese.
melted cheese.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-goo-msg.html

Stefan
--------