[Sca-cooks] Sausage question....

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Sat Mar 8 19:52:28 PST 2008

Sorry I wasn't specific enough.  The apples and onions were not an overwhelming flavor in themselves.  There was definitely a bit of sweetness from the apples and the spices, but nothing more than that.  I chose the sausage for a similarity of spices, mostly.  Beef, pork, mustard seed, some pepper, some sweet spices--not super-assertive or overly mild.  I didn't want to go for anything too weird or anything spiced with, say, capsicum (which would exclude the andouille--tasty, and I've used it in jambalaya and such, but I'm trying for something relatively close to period sausages).  What happened, I think, was that the sausage was *too* similar in taste to the rest of the dish.  It was not assertively spiced (I fried a bit of it and tasted it, and by itself it was nice, but nothing exceptional).
--Maire