[Sca-cooks] dandelions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 11 21:32:31 PDT 2008

It is my understanding, while foxglove has been used medicinally for
centuries, the knowledge that it can be used to treat cardiac conditions is
relatively modern.  Dr. William Withering studied an old Shropshire remedy
for dropsy and determined that the effective ingredient was foxglove.
Dropsy is an obsolete term for edema, swelling due to the body's retention
of fluids.  The diuretic properties of foxglove were useful in treating both
cardiac and renal edema.  Withering published his treatise on the subject,
"An Account of the Foxglove and Some of its Medical Uses; with Practical
Remarks on Dropsy and Other Diseases," in 1785.

Foxglove as a treatment for heart disease was identified and researched by
Dr. John Ferriar in 1799.

Since edema is fairly common in people with heart problems, foxglove was
very likely used as part of the treatment for dropsy with the side benefit
of ingesting a cardiac glycoside.

Bear