[Sca-cooks] Intro and Newbie question - estimating meat portions

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Wed Mar 12 07:25:29 PDT 2008

Well, for myself, it is by the raw ounces. However, if the cut of meat I'm
dealing with has bones in it, then I have to do some adjustments. A couple
of caveats that I do make... a whole chicken per 8 people. (Sometimes I can
get the roaster chickens on sale and can deliver nearly 8 oz of chicken per
person, if not more). If I get the chicken leg quarters, I go for 8 oz per
person (last time I got this at Wal-mart for $.47/pound), this I bought for
the lunch, not the feast though. Fish & shellfish I might opt only for 1-2
oz per person, but this is usually accompanied with another meat in the
same course. Last feast I did was AEthelmearc's Kingdom Twelfth Night. I
incorporated the lunch into the theme of the feast. As for the protein
break down it went like:

Lunch: Chicken (8 oz per person, leg quater raw), Frittata (1 egg per
person), Cheese (1 oz per person)
First Course: Roasted Pork Loin (4 oz per person), Venison (4 oz per
person), Garlic Torte (2 oz cheese per person)
Second Course: Beef Roulade (2 oz per person), Shrimp (2 oz per person)
Final Course: Desserts, but featured Torta Bianca & Torta Communa (2 oz
cheese per person)

Total for the day: 24 oz

The only protein items that were really left at the end of the day was the
two Torta's. However, because of issues outside of the kitchen (and thus my
control), the serving of the courses were rather delayed, thus the final
course got out really late. There was about 7 hours between the serving of
Lunch and serving the first course (5.5 hours were planned).

Euriol