[Sca-cooks] Intro and Newbie question - estimating meat portions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 12 14:36:05 PDT 2008

> Dragon wrote:
>>
>>Typical 3-pound whole chickens I get at my local restaurant supply I count
>>on using two per table of eight people.
>>
> I tend to go with just one of those per table of eight, but I'm often
> serving several meat dishes.
>
> --
> Antonia Calvo
> (formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)

Much will depend on what dishes are served with the bird.  If there is a
good range of additional food, a single bird can be parted out between eight
people.  A more meager course will require about 1/4 bird per person.  I've
done it both ways.  My preference is to avoid whole birds and work with
pieces, thighs, breasts, drumsticks, where I can better control the
portions.

Bear