[Sca-cooks] Terry Nutter's article was A curious question about the rotted meat mythos

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 12 18:22:47 PDT 2008

Terry's article on spicing has disappeared from the
wayback machine. We used to be able to get to it from this link.

Johnna

For those that remember Terry Nutter, I looked up her
thoughts on spicing and rotten meats via the wayback machine.

She began her essay "Remarks on Urban Legend #27"
"The urban myth that medievals used flavoring ingredients to cover the
taste of spoiled meat has proved astoundingly persistent. Competent
historians who know little or nothing about the culinary record retail
it in survey texts. Articles in popular sources blithely subscribe to it.

Getting there takes a couple steps-- click first on--
http://web.archive.org/web/20021015225156/www.cottagesoft.com/~jtn/Culinary/Articles/notesf.html

<http://web.archive.org/web/20021015225156/www.cottagesoft.com/%7Ejtn/Culinary/Articles/notesf.html>

then click on "spices, sauces, and rot" in the left hand column.