[Sca-cooks] BAD sources for historical cooks

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 14 07:07:46 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----

> I have an interest in finding out more about the cooking of the
> northern and eastern regions of Europe. Poland and Russia in particular.
>
> I was hoping this book might prove to be useful.
>
> Dragon

Food and Drink in Medieval Poland is very useful for it's culinary history.
Less so for historical cooking.  It is worth reading, as is The Domostroi,
Meat Under the Saddle, and Food in Russian History and Culture.  Just don't
expect any documentable recipes.

Bear   > > > > > >

Precisely my take on at least the available English translation of Food and
Drink.  Fascinating discourse and information . . . less so the support and
documentation of the actual recipes listed in the source.

niccolo difrancesco