[Sca-cooks] pomegranate "candy"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 14:01:24 PDT 2008

Sandra replied to Etain with:
> Help!  I made a candy using pomegranate juice, sugar and rice flour to
> thicken it.  then you add chopped almonds.  Can I find the
> recipe?  of
> course not!
>   Does anyone know where to find  it?
>
> Etain

<<< Could this be khabisa?  I don't recall it having rice flour in
it, but you
could check Cariadoc's site. >>>

Here is the khabisa recipe from this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section
of the Florilegium:
Andlsn-Pstres-art (20K) 11/24/01    "Andalusian Pastries" by Dinah
bint Ismai'l.

Khabisa with Pomegranate
Take half a ratl of sugar and put it in a metal or earthenware pot
and pour in three ratls of juice of sweet table pomegranates [rummân
sufri; probably tart pomegranates were more common in cooking] and
half an û qiya of rosewater, with a penetrating smell. Boil it gently
and after two boilings, add half a mudd of semolina and boil it until
the semolina is cooked. Throw in the weight of a quarter dirham of
ground and sifted saffron, and three û qiyas of almonds. Put it in a
dish and sprinkle over it the like of pounded sugar, and make balls
[literally, hazelnuts] of this.

My redaction:
2 1/2 cups Sugar
3 tbs. Pomegranate Syrup
2 1/2 cups Water
1/3 cup Rosewater
1 1/3 to 1 1/2 lbs. Semolina, Fine Grain
10 to 12 oz. Ground Almonds
4 or 5 threads of Saffron
Power Sugar to roll in

       Add sugar, pomegranate syrup, water and rosewater together.
Bring to boil, cooking until the syrup stage (approximately 200 F).
Add the Semolina, cook until done. Soak Saffron in 2-tbs. warm water,
until colored. Add saffron water and almonds to Semolina mix.

       Let cool down until you can handle it. Form into balls about
the size of a walnut. Roll balls in powered sugar. Serve, makes about
60 balls.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas