[Sca-cooks] Above/Below the Salt was Greetings

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:27:26 PDT 2008

Terry Decker wrote:
> Interesting that all these references are 15th or 16th Century.
>
> Bear

I have spent the afternoon trying to disprove this but all I come up
with is that no one wrote about it much when the nef was a salt cellar
in English or Spanish perhaps we should be looking more at French and
German. From the 16th C on we have trencher salt in England so the nef
becomes a table ornament only but some of the prettiest museum pieces
are before the 16th C. Florilegium has at least two pieces mentioning
the nef but they do not satisfy this question as far as I can see. Yes,
I tried Furnivall's Babees' Book. I sure there must be something there
but did not hit upon it. Hendrick's Fast and Feast leaves me hot and
cold. Like Wilson at times I question where her information is from.
Suey