[Sca-cooks] PAM stuff stripping off the seasoning on iron ware?

snow flake snowflake_im at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 17:16:01 PDT 2008

A properly seasoned cast iron pan "should" be pretty non stick as it is, however if more oil is needed, then a basting brush across the bottom should suffice if you are watching the fat in your food.  Using anything with additives like pam shouldn't be used on cast iron (in my experience), just as soap should never be used.

Sounds like the pans need a good re-seasoning before their next use.  Good luck!!

Eira > To: SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.org> From: StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:21:29 -0500> Subject: [Sca-cooks] PAM stuff stripping off the seasoning on iron ware?> > Last Friday, Maire asked about non-stick pans and mentioned:> > <<< For years, I've been making do just fine with 3 cast-iron frying > pans, but I've recently run into some issues with using them, and > would like to acquire a decent, 9-inch non-stick pan. (Said reasons > being that I've noticed that the iron pans turn some of my chicken > dishes a really nasty grey, and also, as I'm on a diet and using a > spray oil for scrambling eggs and the PAM stuff is stripping the > seasoning right out of my cast iron.) >>>> > We've discussed here previously that the pan material (iron or > copper) can change the color of the food cooked in it. But this is > the first I've heard that using PAM or other similar spray oil > products can strip off the, often hard won, seasoning on iron pots > and pans.> > Has anyone else had this problem? Does it occur with just certain > brands of spray on oil? I'm wondering if this is a warning I need to > add to my iron-pot-care-msg file.> > Stefan> --------> THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra> Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas > StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****> > > _______________________________________________> Sca-cooks mailing list> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org