[Sca-cooks] Above/Below the Salt was Greetings

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Mar 18 18:36:04 PDT 2008

One of the ones that I remember attending in perhaps 1976 or 1977
started out with offering either a cheap below feast and a more
expensive upper above
the salt feast. They were using two halls in the same building and the
plan was for the one
hall to house the one feast and the other feast to be in the other hall.
But then the above the salt feast oversubscribed and suddenly the head cook
ended up with all this extra work. Instead of mostly a simple feast, she was
committed to doing a very elaborate feast and manage it between two halls.
It wasn't as successful as it could have been. They needed to have sold
about 80 fewer seats.

The other feast was this protocol feast where nobility were being served
extra dishes
all the time. Everyone paid the same amount; it was just that people
with brass hats
got extra, extra goodies while the rest waited. This was maybe 1981 or so.

Johnnae