[Sca-cooks] Curious about a spice.

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Mar 19 08:36:08 PDT 2008

>From BioOne journals:

"Ditaxis heterantha Zucc. (azafrán de bolita), a plant of the
Euphorbiaceae family, grows wild in the semiarid regions of Mexico. Its
seeds are used by the inhabitants of the regions where it grows to give
color and to enhance the flavor of food."

Chemical Composition and Current Distribution of “AzafráN de
Bolita” (Ditaxis heterantha Zucc; Euphorbiaceae): A Food Pigment
Producing Plant