[Sca-cooks] roman feast

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 10:41:23 PDT 2008

Euriol
>I should have likely put some disclaimers on the list I posted.

I always try to annotate my lists, to give hints why i recommend or
don't a particular book. Sometimes one can learn even from books with
bad recipes.

>I am
>working towards being a completist. My copy of Vehling has long since
>disappeared, but I thought it included the original text. Can anyone
>refresh my memory?

Going from memory here, ISTR that Vehling was using a very redacted
(in the true sense) manuscript from the 15th? 16th? century. In other
words, he was not using the oldest available source, but one which
had undergone many changes over the centuries.

Additionally Vehling's skills in Latin were somewhat wanting, so his
translation of an already flawed source is not completely trustworthy.

The original manuscript is not in Classical Latin, which is what most
people study, but in the rather changed Late Antique Period Latin, in
which words might look familiar but would have different meanings
from the Classical, as well as new words whose meanings would not be
in one's standard Classical Latin dictionary.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing