[Sca-cooks] Khlii

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 20:07:20 PDT 2008

Whoo-hoo! I just found a reference to SCA-period khlii (spelled
khali' - but those North Africans are always misplacing their vowels)
in an article about Medieval Maghribi and Andalusi Sufis in the
journal "Medievales" (it's French).

The reference dates either to the Almoravid (1062-1150) or Almohad
(1150-1269) period. The Moroccan author of the article, written in
French, referred to it simply as dried meat preserved in melted fat
(viande sechee conservee dans de la graisse), although i don't know
if they based their description on period descriptions or on modern
khlii. The original source described this particular khlii as made of
mouflon (see note below).

My Source
(leaving out all the accent marks)

"Medievales", No 33 - Automne 1997
Cultures et nourritures de l'occident musulman
Essais dedies a Bernard Rosenberger

in the article
"Furgalite soufie et banquets de zaouyas : l'eclairage des sources
hagiographiques"
Halim Ferhat
pp. 69-79

The reference is on p. 77 (i haven't quite finished reading the
article) I'm going to double check after i finish the article - the
source isn't footnoted on p. 77, but since the same Sufi saint is
referred to earlier in the article, i may be able to find it.

I'm reading my way through the entire journal. I've finished 5
articles, i'm reading the 6th, and there are 4 more to go...

NOTE: Mouflon are a type of wild sheep (ovis musimon)
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/mouflon/index.htm
[this is a terrific website for learning about domesticated animals]

Mouflon are in a group of Caprinae called "goat antelopes"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouflon
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita