[Sca-cooks] roman feast

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Thu Mar 20 09:09:13 PDT 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:53:27 -0600, "Kathleen A Roberts" <karobert at unm.edu>
wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:26:09 -0400
>   euriol <euriol at ptd.net> wrote:
>

>> As to the cream sauce... I feel I now was in error in
>>using a roux base for
>> the sauce
>
> having just read that one last night, it seemed more
> 'chicken and dumplings' to me, as it noted a roux, but no
> dairy product.

It's been nearly 12 years since I've looked at the references, and I've got
on my wish list the new book so it would be interesting revisiting those
recipes I redacted that long ago.

> tho the idea of 'pasta' at a feast is enticing.

At the last feast I did I served pasta. It was AEthelmearc's Twelfth Night
in January. The theme for that feast was late period Italian and in the
book I pulled most of the recipes (The Art of Cookery, translation of
Martino's work) it has a recipe for vermicelli, including the drying of the
vermicelli. The couple of issues I encountered were. I cooked way too much.
1 ounce of dry pasta per person is more than adequate (2 ounce is a serving
per package of dry pasta). Also, since the feast was served late (issues
outside the kitchen beyond my control) trying to keep the pasta warm enough
without drying it out was another challenge.

> yeah, i can see a lot of spin on the ingredients and how
> they are cooked (in both senses of the word) in the
> vehling.  but it's fascinating reading.

Another thought is you can do a 16th century spin on a Roman Feast. If I
remember correctly, part of the whole Renaissance effort was not just the
revival of learning from the classical sources, but re-enacting it as well.

Euriol