[Sca-cooks] Cleaning plastic and wooden cutting boards

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Sat Mar 22 08:00:31 PDT 2008

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com did speak thusly:

> >I have found that walnut oil is a better oil for use on wood in food
> >applications.
>
>Just remember that you used it, if you cook for anyone with nut allergies.
>Maybe it cures enough to be safe, but you wouldn't want to find out
>the hard way.
>Olive oil allergies can be an issue too.

Walnut oil, given enough time, cures completely and will not transfer
to foods from an item it was used on.

OK, this allergy thing is really a pet peeve of mine. We cannot
protect everyone from every single possible adverse reaction. As far
as I see it, my only responsibility towards this is to provide a list
of ingredients. After that, it is up to somebody to decide whether
they can eat it or not.

I'll continue to use my walnut oil and cook with all sorts of things,
including nuts. Just as I accommodate vegetarians (who are the bane
of my existence as a cook) by not including meat in everything, I
also don't put nuts in everything either. I provide a number of
choices for people at a meal and they have the option of choosing
what they want and what they don't.

Dragon