[Sca-cooks] Cleaning plastic and wooden cutting boards

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 17:47:28 PDT 2008

>OK, this allergy thing is really a pet peeve of mine. We cannot
>protect everyone from every single possible adverse reaction. As far
>as I see it, my only responsibility towards this is to provide a list
>of ingredients. After that, it is up to somebody to decide whether
>they can eat it or not.

If someone says they have a nut allergy and asks what is safe to eat, that it is not unreasonable to let them know if you used walnut oil on the cutting boards, and let them decide to eat or not.  You shouldn't have to cater to allergies, but information to the best of your knowledge, shouldn't be such a big thing.

We have two celiacs in our group, including the ex-baroness, as well as vegetarians, so we tend to keep track of which things are safe for them, but I wouldn't choose what to cook based ONLY on that.

>B. There is a written list of ingredients that includes EVERYTHING in
>each dish, I don't leave things out and grilling me incessantly to
>try to "catch me lying" is not a way to stay in my good graces. Yes,
>some people have this truly annoying habit.

I'm sure you are different, but I've been assured any number of times that something was vegetarian, when it "only" had some chicken broth, not actual meat, and you can pick the meat out anyway, can't you?  No one wants to find out the hard time that food which is already in their mouth has something they would rather not eat.

That's not an excuse for not asking politely, but if someone doesn't know you, I can see that they might want to make sure you understand.

Ranvaig