[Sca-cooks] roman feast / Apicius

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 22 21:47:07 PDT 2008

> You might take a look and see if there's lentils in them thar hills.
> They may not be in "Cooking Apicius", but I'm pretty sure they're in
> Apicius.

Lentils are definitely in Apicius.

> Tracta appear to be a primitive dried pasta, like dry lasagne, made
> from soaked, kneaded spelt (is it spelt or emmer? The soft one, not
> the hard one).
>
> Adamantius

Emmer.  Spelt  is the hard one.

Panic, millet and rye (rarely used) are missing from the grains, as is
amulum (starch from wheat or rye).

Sapa, a reduction of wine (caroenum) or must (defrutum), isn't listed.

And I would seriously question the yellow or purple carrots.  The European
carrot is white.  Most of the research I've seen suggests the purple carrot
came west with the Arab expansion, although it can be argued that it was
known in the Empire.  The earliest record of yellow carrots I've found is
10th Century (IIRC).

Bear