[Sca-cooks] Cleaning plastic and wooden cutting boards

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Mar 24 08:27:43 PDT 2008

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
>If it's the same stuff we use at work, you need to be careful not to leave
>it on anything metal or it will corrode (which is kinda scary to think that
>you'll be breathing it...but then I guess the same could be said for
>bleach!)

Corrosiveness to metal is not necessarily an indicator that something
is going to harm you.

I can think of several things in my kitchen that all of us would
consider harmless food stuff that will corrode various types of metal
if left in contact for a prolonged period.

For example, such nefarious things like lemon juice, vinegar,
tomatoes, brine from the pickle jar, sauerkraut... My point being
that using "it corrodes metal" as an indicator of the safety of a
substance is pretty inaccurate.

As far as any of these commercial sanitizers go (and for that matter
any chemical on sale in the U.S. and E.U. and probably other places)
there are Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) that detail the hazards,
safe handling practices, etc. If you really want to know what the
hazards are, read the MSDS, they are freely available to anyone who
wants them from the product manufacturer. Under U.S. Federal law,
your employer must make them available to all employees for all
chemicals used in the business.

Dragon