[Sca-cooks] Chafing dishes

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Mar 24 16:48:37 PDT 2008

On Mon, March 24, 2008 16:11, Suey wrote:
>     I think it was Bear who said look at Velazquez' nun frying an egg,
> 17 C. When the Arabs invaded Spain, 8th C, the soap something pots and
> pans broke on them before the dish was cooked so they turned to clay
> baked, Perry explains all that. Anyway you insist I  have got to have
> references from any clay baking country in the world like Spain and
> South America, at least, for pots and pans from the time man cooked food
> in them.
>     I like the way you insist that I sharpen up my documentation but
> sometimes I must respond just dig your claws into the earth. Dig  into
> time unknown. In Spain we had clay pots since the sun dried them before
> man could write!
> Suey

"Insisting" is probably too strong a word, here... "Asking" is better. :-)

Are you possibly referring to soapstone pots above? Soapstone was a common
material for making a lot of things because it is easy to work and could
be made into many shapes. It makes a wonderful griddle if one can find a
big enough piece.

As I explained in another post in this thread, I'm working on a pottery
project with the goal of making a camp/field kitchen that is equipped with
an entirely period set of cook ware in the broader sense of the word
"period" as we use it in the SCA, we are not focusing on a narrow time
period. So it is very likely that we will end up with all sorts of cooking
and serving vessels in all sorts of styles made prior to 1600.

There will also be wood working and metal working aspects of this project
to make things such as braziers and spits and spoons, etc.

As for digging into the earth, we are doing that. In fact I went and
played in the mud yesterday afternoon (I threw two small jars and made a
nutmeg grater out of clay). I just wish I had much more time to do that
than I do.

--
Dragon