[Sca-cooks] Khabisa with Pomegranate

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:23:33 PDT 2008

As provided by this list:

Khabisa recipe form the FOOD_SWEETS section of Stevens Florilegium: Addlsn- Pstres-art
Andalusian Pastries by Dinah bint Ismai’l

Khabisa with Pomegranate

Take half a ratl of sugar and put it in a metal or earthenware pot and pour in three ratls of juice of sweet table pomegranates (rumman sofri)and half an u qiya of rosewater wit a penetrating smell. Boil it gently and after two boiling, add half a mudd of semolina and boil until the semolina is cooked. Throw in the weight of a quarter dirham of ground and sifted saffron and three u qiyas of almonds. Put it in a dish and sprinkle over it the like of pounded sugar and make balls of this.

Here is what happened.

1.25 cups of raw sugar
1.25 cups of pomegranate juice (I used commercial 100% pomegranate juice)
3 tablespoons of orange juice (no rosewater, and my usual source was out)
¾ pound brown rice flour (lacking semolina, I remembered that someone talked about using rice flour for this)
¾ pound ground almonds
3 saffron threads bloomed in 1 tablespoon warm water
Powdered sugar to roll in

Stir the pomegranate juice and orange juice into the sugar. Boil to 235 f (syrup) Add the rice flour. Cook and stir until the mixture will no longer boil. Remove from heat, stir in the almonds and saffron. Stir and allow to cool just until it can be handled. Roll into balls the size of a walnut (I used my small cookie dough scoop). Roll the balls in powdered sugar. This made 30 #2 scoop sized balls (about a tablespoon each)
The youngest thinks it is …. Weird. Tomorrow I will take it to work and see what a more adult palate will think. I will provide comment cards for those who try it … to see what they think.
Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.