[Sca-cooks] clay graters

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 24 22:51:07 PDT 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 12:52 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> The clay grater
> just has points on it, right? With no holes for the pieces to fall
> through?

The ones I've seen are basically cut into teeth like a file.

> How durable is the clay grater?

Durable enough for anything softer than baked clay (which, if it's
harder than that, you probably don't want to be chewing anyway), so
for nuts, hard cheeses, and some spices, it's fine. For something like
whole turmeric, maybe not. And, of course, you don't want to drop it
unnecessarily.

> Or is this more a slab of
> clay with other hard particles embedded in it?

I'd be more worried about eating particles shed by the grater.

Adamantius