[Sca-cooks] Foods available in early Anglo Saxon England

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Mar 25 03:53:45 PDT 2008

>We're doing an early Anglo-Saxon outfit from the southern part of what is
>now England. There's not a lot of information out there that we can find on
>what would have been used for dyes.

>1) What berries (if any) would have been available?
>2) Would the Romans have brought beets with them?

Berries and food tend not to be good dye stuffs.  The Roman used black and white beets,  but not red ones, I'm not sure when red beets were first used, and they aren't a very good dye anyway.

Things like madder, woad, and weld have a LONG history of use, I'd check those before I tried to use food.

I'd ask in the natural dyes group, someone there will know more than I do: