[Sca-cooks] Foods available in early Anglo Saxon England

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Mar 25 03:37:00 PDT 2008

At 03:53 AM 3/25/2008, you wrote:

>Berries and food tend not to be good dye stuffs.  The Roman used
>black and white beets,  but not red ones, I'm not sure when red
>beets were first used, and they aren't a very good dye anyway.

Unless of course they encounter your grandmother's tablecloth, your
silk blouse, a white dress shirt...

>I tried to dye with red cabbage once (an A&S contest for cabbage in
>any medium), it gave a very pale seafoam green, not a desirable color at all.

If you're a former bridesmaid planning your own wedding (payback time
for all of those ghastly dresses you've worn for your friends),
seafoam green is an excellent color. Especially if there's a butt bow
involved. >:-}

Not that I'd ever consider doing this, mind you...

'Lainie
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than
our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore