[Sca-cooks] Mudd was Khabisa with Pomegranate

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 25 22:35:49 PDT 2008

> Semolina is a kind of wheat flour, so I'm not sure rice flour makes
> sense as a substitute, but I haven't experimented with it. I'm not
> sure what you are basing your quantity on. I believe a small mudd
> would be about 4 1/2 cups, a large mudd about 18, but I no longer
> remember my source for the numbers.
> --
> David/Cariadoc

Brill's First Encyclopaedia of Islam place the mudd at 1.15 liters, with the
caveat that earlier measures (before the 8th or 9th Century, if I read this
correctly) of this name may run half the amount.  Other sources state that
the mudd (or more properly al mudd or al mude) are based on the Roman
modius, roughly between 8 and 9 liters, which I believe is roughly equal to
the makkuk.

Chasing the evolution of the measure is proving interesting.

Bear