[Sca-cooks] Chafing dishes?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 18:13:22 PDT 2008

Yes, they are 16th century.  Here are some extant pieces from the Museum of London's collection:

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114251

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114245

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=114255

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=116375

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=116378

They also have a 16th Century German chafing dish, but they don't have a picture of it online.

There is also ceramic chafing dishes at the Ashmolean:

http://potweb.ashmolean.org/PotChron5-05.html

The written part on this page from the Ashmolean appears to indicate that ceramic chafing dishes
started to appear between 1350 and 1450:

http://potweb.ashmolean.org/PotChron4.html

There are extant Dutch chafing dishes, but I cannot find photos of them online.

Huette

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> If you take a look at Diego Velasquez's "Old Woman Cooking," the subject is
> preparing eggs in a ceramic chafing dish, although painted in 1618, such
> dishes were probably in use earlier.  The Hull City Museums lists a 16th
> Century chafing dish in its collection,
> http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/museumcollections/collections/subtheme.php?irn=597
>
>  I haven't encountered references to chafing dishes before the 16th Century,
> but this is not necessarily conclusive.  The ones that I have found appear
> to be primarily ceramic heated by a small charcoal braizer.  You might do
> well to check houlehold inventories for other examples.
>
> Bear
>
> > Does anyone know if any sort of chafing dish was used in period?
> >
> > If so, can you point me to documentation?
> >
> > Dragon

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/