[Sca-cooks] Custard (was Re: Easter Weekend at Hampton Court)

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Fri Mar 28 15:12:55 PDT 2008

>While we're on the subject, Mrs. Beeton maintained that only goose or
>duck eggs went into a really proper custard. I don't know that I
>agree, but it seems to be what she thought.
>
>I actually got to dredge up the old restaurant formula (6 eggs or 12
>yolks, 1 quart liquid, half-cup sugar plus optional flavoring) to
>coach someone over the phone yesterday, someone who had never made
>custard and who scarcely knew what to look for, through a successful
>custard tart. That was kinda fun. I was getting calls every five
>minutes: "It's been in the oven fifteen minutes and it hasn't set.
>What did I do wrong??? What can I do about it??? Heeeeeelp!!!"
>
>Adamantius (hmmm... warm gai dan tarts...)

I love custards.

Too bad I can't eat them as often as I would like.

I've never tried duck eggs or goose eggs. If they have a higher fat
percentage than a chicken egg, they may well make a better custard.
It bears experimentation I should think. :-)

As for the satisfaction of helping somebody through their first
successful go at something, I know how that feels. I have a friend in
Chicago who was having a devil of a time getting her berry pies to
turn out the way she wanted. I helped her troubleshoot them long
distance and she is now very happy with her pies.

Dragon