[Sca-cooks] Salty carrots

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 23:37:24 PDT 2008

Suey commented:
<<<     Bummer about you, Terry, ditching the William of Orange story
and
carrot as the national vegetable in defiance of Philip II of Spain. >>>

Oh! I thought it was all an argument over whose carrot was bigger.
You know, like fast sports cars are to make up for lack of size and
such...

<<<    My next quest is going to be the beet. Does that have a Scottish
tale to go with it - beet red? >>>

The Scots had beets??? :-) Even today they don't seem to like
vegetables. In the last few years their government has been making a
big push to get them to eat more vegetables.

I think the biggest question on the beet is whether various medieval
recipes are calling for the beet root or beet greens. Unfortunately
some seem to work with either, which doesn't help solve the question.

beets-msg        (130K)  2/ 8/08    Period beet roots and beet
greens. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/beets-msg.html

<<<
     Are there anymore critters out there I don't know about that
changed
coats? >>>

Onion soup? What do you think of when thinking of "onion soup"? White
or brown? The brown "French" onion soup appears to be later.

onion-soups-msg   (38K)  1/31/08    Period onion soups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/onion-soups-msg.html

Sheep? Their coats change from season to season and their coats have
changed over the centuries as they've been bred for various
characteristics.
B-H-Cheviot-art   (16K)  2/27/03    "The Brecknock Hill Cheviot - A
Shepherds
                                        Investigation" by Blacksheep.
sheep-lambs-msg   (38K) 12/24/06    Medieval sheep and lambs. Breeds.
The-Sheep-art      (8K) 10/30/02    "The Sheep That Changed the Face
of Art and
                                        History" by Blacksheep.

<<<    How about the artichoke? Huici translates it as existing in
the 13th
C. Perry says it was still chard. >>>

I don't remember chard getting into this, rather the Cardoon.
artichokes-msg    (44K)  1/ 7/08    Period artichokes. Recipes.
Cardoons.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/artichokes-msg.html
Crdoon-Articke-art (33K) 12/20/04    "The cardoon and artichoke in
16th century
                                        Italian cooking" by Mistress
Helewyse de
                                        Birkestad.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/Crdoon-Articke-art.html

  <<<   Ok Stefan tell us where you have it stored! >>>

Well usually these are stored in the ground or in the root cellar.
Oh, you mean in the Florilegium.

In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section, of course. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com