[Sca-cooks] Eggs in Lent

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 09:23:33 PDT 2008

Elsie Fleming wrote:
>   > I'm not that familiar with what can
>   > and can't be used in Lent.  Is it possible that on some of the 40 days that
>   > eggs could be used -- a less Lenten day, a less strict observance day?
>   >
>   >
>   Sundays and feast days are 'off'- you can eat as normal, which is a
>   lifesaver! I waited eagerly for Sunday, and brunch was always wonderful...

    No meat or dairy products could be consumed during Lent. The egg
prohibition actually goes back to heathen times. They were not eaten
during this time of year as it is the mating season. Olive oil was used
instead of lard. Almond milk was used instead of milk. There does not
seem to be any substitute for cheese. Bread was made with water, no milk
or eggs. No there were no days off during medieval Lents.
    Mark Singleton did a brilliant translation from Spanish into English
of the Archpriest of Hita's Libro de Buen Amor which illustrates this.
Suey