[Sca-cooks] Oranges and grapefruits and lemons, o my! was Salty carrots

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sat Mar 29 11:12:30 PDT 2008

We don't have a Whole Foods in this town, but we have a local organic
grocery co-op, I can ask them about Meyer lemons.
Shipping citrus out of Florida can get weird because of citrus canker, and
efforts to control that have resulted in bitter battles between homeowners
with ornamental trees , the state dept of agriculture, and the commercial
citrus industry, what there is left of it in Florida. But I digress...
A few years back, Dan made a number of flavored syrups from various citrus
fruits, and entered it into an Art/Sci as non-alcoholic period beverages,
they were. Having a lot of peel left over, he then candied the peel and had
that with the display, although I'm not sure if it was formally part of the
entry. It was a big hit; I don't remember precisely which citrus fruits he
used besides oranges and lemons, and he is away from home today so I will
have to ask him this evening. Mixing the flavored syrups with cold water was
wonderfully refreshing in the heat of a southern Trimaris summer. I'll
mention this to him, I think he would like to weigh in on this discussion.
Still want to try salt-preserved lemons, the pickled ones look interesting
too.
Cheers,
Isabella

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine