[Sca-cooks] Fig Newtons from God?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 29 14:34:04 PDT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 5:15 PM, aldyth at aol.com wrote:
> This morning at work a wonderful older jewish lady brought in a care
> package to say thank you for taking such good care of her terrier.?
> She knows I like to cook.? Her words were, "The little basket is
> full of Fig Newtons from God.?Just for you. Guess what they are.
> They are as old as Abraham"
>
> So, I sampled one.? Very light outside butter cookie dough that was
> rolled out or flattened. Inside one was what I thought would be fig,
> but was poppy seed goo.? Another one was strawberry I think.? The
> edges of the cookie were folded up on the filling, leaving a finger
> print sized hole. Mostly round, or sort of 3 sided. They also had
> been dusted with powdered sugar, (I hope that was what it was).
>
> Surely not a cuskeynole.? Google was helpful with various versions
> of thumbprint cookies. If this is?a period cookie, it would be
> wonderful to include on a dessert sideboard.? Ideas?

The tri-corn hat shape suggests that the poster who mentioned rugelach
(sp?) was probably close, but my money would be on Hamentaschen,
a.k.a. Hamen's Purses or Hamen's Ears. I think they're a Purim
thing... I gather Passover is rather late this year, and that Purim is
just about exactly a month prior, so we could be in the midst of it.

Here's a link to the oh-so-unreliable-but-so-fashionable-to-take-pokes-
at Wiki page on the subject, for access to some of the various
spellings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamentashen

Adamantius

bellies."