[Sca-cooks] Period Non-Alcoholic Beverages-was Citrus

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 14:49:44 PDT 2008

Isabella asked:
<<< As well as the citrus-based syrups, there was also a vinegar-
based one whose name escapes me; it tasted remarkably like lemonade
when mixed with water. Anyone remember the name of it? It's getting
warm again in Oldenfeld... >>>

I can't remember the exact name, but I try to put the syrup based
drinks with a vinegar component into this file in the BEVERAGES
section in the Florilegium:
jalabs-msg        (71K)  7/ 3/04    Drinks with a sugar or honey-
syrup base such
                                        as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint
Drink).

This file also might be of interest to those considering citrus based
drinks, and being told they weren't period:
fresh-juices-msg   (8K) 11/17/07    Evidence for fresh fruit juices
being used
                                        in period for drinking and
for cooking.

Hmmm, since you titled your message "Period Non-Alcoholic Beverages"
perhaps your interest goes beyond just citrus drinks? If so, check
this file:
beverages-NA-msg  (89K)  6/23/05    Non-alcoholic beverages.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com